Monday, September 27, 2010

I Don't Want Money. Just Enjoy The Music.

Last week, I sat down on the local 1 train going downtown, heading home from Columbia.  That particular day, I had an awesome squat and deadlift workout, I learned about nuclear decay in chemistry and did terribly on my chemistry quiz.  Needless to say, it was a long day and I was tired.  There I sat, headphones in, listening to Hockey (my favorite band of the week), dazing in an out of consciousness as the subway rocked back and forth.  Like countless times past, the train pulled into the 79th St station and people began that little dance, negotiating positions as they try to get on and off.  Just as the doors start to close, a group of three Mexicans jump on board.  All three wore huge cowboy hats, two had guitars and the third carried an accordion.  Glancing around the train, there were a mix of reactions...  The few tourists onboard took out their cameras.  Most of the commuters rolled their eyes and raised the volume on their iPods.  I paused my music in anticipation of their performance.  I wasn't about to fight the volume and risk going deaf.  The musicians played their piece, asked for money, and switched cars as the train rolled between stations.  New Yorkers know the tune...  Anyone whose ridden the subway has heard the music before.  They come on, play some music, and ask for your money.  Judging by the reactions of my fellow subway riders, everyone immediately knew what was going on and what to expect.

A couple of weeks before this, a very similar situation ensued.  I sat on a downtown N train near Central Park as this young, scruffy, and dirty looking guy got on the train.  He had a violin in his hand and a box tied to a string, hanging around his neck.  Once again, eyes rolled, people moved away, others pulled their belongings in tight.  As the train left the station, he began to play.  The dude was phenomenal.  I could have closed my eyes and imagined myself in Carnegie Hall, listening to a solo from the philharmonic.  I took out my headphones and listened, gazed in amazement.  I looked around.  The passengers were all as stunned as I was.  The train pulled into the next station and instead of getting up and asking for money, he continued to play.  The violinist eventually got up and began walking around, stopping by each passenger.  As he got closer to me, I reached for my wallet.  Yes, even I was prepared to give this guy some money.  Then I finally saw the box.  More importantly, I saw the sign on the box.  "I don't want money.  Just enjoy the music."  

Stunned.  Absolutely, unequivocally stunned.  That guy got on the subway and everyone, including me, made a snap judgement as to what he wanted, what his angle was.  Everyone has an angle, right?  This guy didn't, yet we all judged him.  Judging people based on their surroundings, appearance, and overall characteristics is natural and we all do it all the time.  It happens to me quite often lately.  Just the other day, I was walking through the office wearing a lab coat.  As I walked into the kitchen, a pharmaceutical company representative proudly held up some drug and said "hello, Doctor, I'd like to show this to you."  I politely declined, grabbed my coffee, and walked back to my desk with a huge smile on my face.  

We've all heard the phrase that to assume is to make an ass out of you and me.  And it's true, but it's impossible to not make assumptions.  Like I said before, it's in our nature.  Sometimes, making quick judgements can protect your property or even save your life.  You don't necessarily know why people do what they do and therefore, try to reserve judgment.  People do things out of their own ambitions, necessities, and even fears.  Who knows why that kid decided to get onto the subway and play his violin.  Was it a social statement, a political one?  Maybe he just needed a place to practice.  Who knows.  But he taught me a very valuable lesson...  Sometimes you need to just clear your mind and enjoy the music.