Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Heartburn? Nah... I'm Just Thirsty.

My first little lesson in health...


A couple of years ago, I was diagnosed with "GERD" or Gastro-Esophageal Reflux Disease or even more commonly known as heartburn!  What happened was this... I went to the gym, had an awesome workout, and then went back to my desk to eat lunch.  Due to my ridiculous post workout hunger, I scarfed down my food.  I barely even chewed.  Low and behold, a piece of food got stuck, causing a massive amount reflux and even damage to the lining of my esophagus.  I went to Lenox Hill Hospital, was examined, x-rayed, and essentially told to chew better in the future.


Now, I had suffered from heartburn spells before, but this was something else.  The pain in my chest was so terrible it made me sick to my stomach.  To alleviate the symptoms, I was told to angle my bed, avoid coffee and chocolate, and all the other normal anti-GERD recommendations.  I was also prescribed a proton-pump inhibitor, which reduces the amount of stomach acid produced.


Here's the problem... none of that really helped.  The PPI would do the trick, until I stopped taking it and then the heartburn would come back full force.  I despise taking medicine like that, so I decided to look into what causes acid reflux and try something different.  The answer that I discovered: water.  According to the research that I did (reading articles and testing on myself), heartburn is a thirst indicator for the body.  Stomach acid has a pH of about 2 (hydrochloric acid) while water, being neutral, has a pH of 7.  By drinking water, you naturally dilute the acidity of your stomach.  Antacids do the same thing, but to a stronger extent... which could lower the acidity too much.  Water would do this naturally and gradually.  I tried it... and it worked.  I increased my water intake and now I am off the little purple pill and my bed is still nice and level.  So, take it or leave it...  It may not actually cure your heartburn, but drinking a glass of water is a lot easier, cheaper, and healthier than reaching for the pill bottle.  What have you got to lose?


These comments have not been reviewed by the FDA.  And I'm not actually a doctor.  Yet.