I thought I'd post another quick lesson in health today, in between my chemistry/physics studying and programming work. So, read and go be healthy!
I don't think I am going out on a limb when I say we all remember the bombardment of milk ads that we've all seen in life. "Milk. It does a body good" and "Got Milk?" were revolutionary ad campaigns promoting the dairy industry's number one product. Maybe your parents also said things like 'a glass of milk is part of a balanced breakfast' or something to reinforce milk's consumption. I know my parents did. In fact, they took it to a further extent. The rule in my house was that the only thing we were allowed to drink during dinner was milk. Flank steak, spaghetti and meatballs, stir-fry, the meal didn't matter... a glass filled with the white liquid accompanied it. In fact, thats all we were allowed to drink for the rest of the night. Water was always an option, but I never really considered it. So milk it was... But why? What made this stuff so special and so much better than my beloved orange juice or soda?
Well, I may have not enjoyed that rule, but to this day, my bones are still thanking my parents. You see, milk and other dairy products are a human's primary source of calcium (Ca). Calcium, is a mineral that is essential to human life, especially early on while the skeleton is developing. As the skeleton grows, calcium is used to build bone structure. In fact, bones are the primary storage location of the mineral. Around ninety-nine percent of the body's calcium is found in bones, providing them with their strength and structure. Deficiencies in calcium would, in turn, lead to weaker bones and osteoporosis (fragile, porous bones that break easily due to lower density).
Calcium deficiency problems arise due to the fact that bone density is not calcium's only purpose in the body and intake is inadequate. The mineral is used in everything from muscle contractions, blood clotting, nerve impulse transmissions, enzymes, and neurotransmitters. Here's the kicker... The body considers all of those purposes more important than the strength of its bones. So take a guess as to what's going to suffer if calcium intake is not up to par. The body will sense a drop in blood-calcium levels. It will then proceed to pull calcium from bones (as well as try to absorb more and excrete less) in order to bring those levels back to normal and balanced. However, if the deficiency continues, the body will continue to use the bone's calcium stores to maintain the functionality of vital systems, like the contractions of the heart.
Okay, finally the importance of the drink makes sense... Growing up, I had no idea. So how do you get your 1,000 milligrams? Or even more if you are above 50 (closer to 1,500 mg). A glass of milk contains about 300mg of absorbable calcium, so drink up. Other food sources include cabbage, broccoli, and other green veggies. The problem with some green veggies, like spinach, is that the calcium is not absorbable. So heed the ads, get yourself a milk mustache and do your body good! Try it with your dinner, I know I still do!